Wednesday, November 10, 2010

here we go....




My name is Marisa and I have a picc line.

Yep. A line that feeds me 12 hrs at night.

I had GB 9/20/10. 3 days after I left the hospital nausea struck me. I was sipping. Boy was I sipping.

The nausea became unbearable and I was brought in for IV fluids. This happened 4 times and being hospitalized each time for 3-4 days during a month period.

I was on nausea meds that stopped working because of severe dehydration. I was so malnourished from not eating for 4 weeks that my skin started shedding and my mouth was foaming.

I lost almost 50 lbs in a little under 4 weeks. It was sick. It was unhealthy.

I just wanted to live and I could care less about my weight any longer.

I was put in the hospital and a picc line was placed 10/20. 24 hrs later I was a different person. I felt like I was going to live now and not die.

May sound corny but it was like I was reborn. A second chance at life. I was taking it and running with it.

My doctor's office gave me ONE sheet on dehydration. Nothing about nausea. I don't care if it IS rare, patients need to know.

I will be on this line for how ever long I need it. I don't need to eat or drink while I have it but I try. I will eventually need to eat and drink. I rarely weigh myself because everything myself and my family have been through, the weight is not even on my list. I could care less.

I just wanna live. This line is keeping me alive and out of the hospital.

I stress to patients that dehydration can kick your butt so fast and if you do not nip it in the bud..you'll be in trouble. Get nausea meds if you feel it. Nausea is often caused by dehydration. Mine came out of the blue and led to being dehydrated and malnourished.

I hope no one else has to experience what I did. It tested my faith and it was hard for everyone.

But I'm over that huge hump and now can take care of my 5 beautiful kids, my adoring husband and finally MYSELF.
............
xo

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you and your new pic line . . . I'd like to hear what your doctors long term goal is for you? Will you be on it for months? Years?

    I understand you don't care about the WL - but assume you are still losing. Do you feel different? Better? Healthier?

    More just curious! lol.

    Jenny
    PS. Found you on TT :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came home from my rny this past friday. Went back to ER because of nausea (I was on nausea meds in hospital before they released me) and dehydration. I had NO idea about the nausea! I was on meds prior to leaving the hospital but they DID NOT prescribe them to me when they signed my release forms. I went home w/ NONE. My follow up is this next wed. Guess who is going to give them an ear full!? ME

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marisa, I just had to make a comment b/c I too am on a picc line. I had my RNY on 11/17/11 went home 11/20 with this mucous/foam coming up. Was not able to eat or drink. To ER 11/25 & they only ran test but didn't put me on any IV fluids, I had to ask cause I knew it had to be dehydration. Back in the hosp 12/3 came home 5 days later with a PICC line and being feed thru that since then. Still on the PICC line but the number of hours are now fom 24 hours down to 15 hours & hopefully down to 12 hrs. I am being kept on it b/c I have an ulcer and they want the ulcer to rest so it can heal.

    I just want to write you b/c I have been looking to see something online about PICC line and I truly hope that everything goes well for you. I wish all the luck in the world.

    mselgin1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete